Sunday 7 September 2014

Altered Sardine Can - Gone Fishing!


So did you catch the show on Create & Craft today? If not then you can catch it here or on Catch Up TV - it was an amazing show with plenty of lush samples from my teamies and a genius demonstration from Nikky Hall involving hot glue!!! Anyway, I thought I'd pop in and show you this fun little piece that I made for the show using the new Winston Collection from Polka Doodles.



There are loads of fun techniques I've used on this project and I have to say that although it was a touch fiddly in places, I had an absolute blast making it! I know this getting to be a habit but there are loads of pictures in this post so apologies if it slow loading!

As many of you know I love upcycling stuff that would otherwise be discarded in the trash. I'm always on the look out for odd tins, bottles and boxes and as a result have a quite a hoard! Anyway as soon as I saw one of the design sheets on the CD I just knew that I had to alter a sardine can from my stash. Now for those of you worried about the smell, don't be, simply wash it out thoroughly with hot soapy water and then soak it in bi-carb and hot water overnight and any smell will be removed.


The first thing I did was to create a "lid" out of card. I simply drew around the tin and then cut it to size.


I then hot glued some beads onto the base to make feet and then coated the whole thing generously with Gesso, along with the card lid. Whilst I waited for it to dry I printed out the design sheet from the CD, cut it out and layered it up with silicone glue.


Once the tin and card lid was dry I dabbed on some course modelling paste (if you don't have this try mixing a bit of sand or salt in with some fine modelling paste or gel medium) and again left it to dry.  I then covered the entire tin and lid in silver acrylic paint. I then added a thinned down coat of black acrylic paint to it and lightly swiped it over with a cloth so that there some areas of silver showing through. Before this dried thoroughly I added some Burnt Umber acrylic paint and some Burnt Sienna. I then left the whole to dry for thirty minutes or so.


I then printed some dotty papers from the CD and cut them to fit the tin to create the water. The bullrushes were freehand cut from scraps of paper and coloured with my Graph'It Markers. I then glued each of the individual elements into the scene.


Finally, I rolled up the lid and cut jagged edges into the sides where it was curled before gluing it into position on the tin. The key was an old corned beef tin key that seem almost impossible to find these days, so I made a mold and cast a few extras. This was then rusted up in the same fashion described above.


If you buy the Winston CD please do stop by and show me what you made - I love looking at other peoples creations. Alternatively, please feel free to share with all the other Polka Doodles fans on Facebook Page


Thanks for stopping by today.

Claire xxx

I'd like to enter this project into the following challenges:
Altered Eclectics - Anything Goes
A Little Bit Crafty - Distress It
Crafts & Me - Time for Anything
Natalie & Amy's Challenge - Things with wings
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Anything Goes
The Mirror Cracked - Anything Goes

25 comments:

  1. totally stunning, you always managed to make my jaw drop! love your work hun xx
    Sandie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I pop into your head for a few minutes. Absolutely bl**dy brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented Claire. I love your enthusiasm. A fabulous project. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are no words to describe this awesome project..hubby would love this..cute cute cute!!!tf..huggzz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adore, adore, adore. If you're ever stuck for a present for me (!), You can always make me my own canned masterpiece x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely LOVE this Claire, its just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One word.... OUTSTANDING :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a clever idea xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another excellent project Claire! I really thought you'd used a genuine old tin, you are soooo clever! xx Nicky {Creative Flourishes}

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is totally amazables !!!!!!!!!!
    Hugs Sus xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely stunning Claire - you never cease to amaze me with your creative ideas. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an amazing project! Saw it on c&c and had to look up how you made it.....love it!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is adorable Claire! Really love your altered mixed media piece!!
    thank you so much for joining us at TMC!
    grtz Jolanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, fantastic project!!! Love the grungy texture and everything about it.
    Thanks you for joining us at our first mixed media challenge at TMC

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY GOODNESS! What an AMAZING project! When I first saw this I thought, uh oh, how dangerous is that, as my sardine cans I always find the lids very sharp, but then as I read I realised you had discarded the lid and made one from card. The whole thing is just completely stunning.

    Thank you so much for sharing in our first ever challenge. Please come back again.

    Lin
    The Mirror Crack'd

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh hun this is stunning really adore this too bits stunning hun hugs cheryl xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOOOOOOOW this is so fabulous! Just adore that you have recycled this can how very clever of you. Totally adore all the details and the fabulous rusted look! Just HAD to become your latest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wowwwww this is stunning! Love the whole idea. What a wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is fabulous, and really great distressing! Brilliant! Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so gorgeous!!! It's a fab idea and the creation is simply perfect!!! Thank you very much for sharing your beautiful creation on The Mirror Crack'd Challenge Blog. Hope we'll see you again next time! Have a nice day, Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  21. brilliant make! love the detail! Many thanks for joining the Rhedd's Creative Spirit challenge and good luck!!! Melissa (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw this on The Mirror Crack'd Challenge and simply had to stop by and tell you how much I enjoyed seeing your recycling efforts. Beautiful results, too. I have to agree about those keys. I've looked and looked and have yet to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Saw this on The Mirror Crack'd just want to tell you that it's so wonderfully made.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...